Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"GRATEFUL"

The other day Jims facebook status said this. I was like hmm I wonder why? Not that he doesn't show his utmost appreciation and gratitude for all we have but I just wondered what triggered it. Jim is having some interesting times at work lately, especially being essentially the lone male in his office area. (All you woman know how hard that could and would be at times.) He is getting his own office finally after 7 years but it is really too small and still... he is grateful for it. He has been promised by our dear Heavenly Father that if he lives his life in righteousness he will always have the things he needs. I can't tell you how important that promise is to us right now.

Now times are hard for a lot of people right now and we are very lucky to have what we have. I am so grateful for his job with great benefits, a bit of stability even though it sucks sometimes b/c  of politics.  I am thankful for a job for me that most likely won't be affected by the budget cuts and that I get to do what I love. I have all the necessities, a mother who is a great nurse, a hubby and dad who can fix about anything, and family all around me. What a supportive family I have and how grateful I am for them. They would ALL give there shirts off their back to me if we needed it. 

As summer approaches... (wishful thinking I know) I think of me having no job and how much harder life is going to get. I LOVE to travel and this summer we will have to work and save for it and the trips will be less often. I love to do projects and even though I will have time I won't have much extra money to do them. I love to go to the pool, movies, Lagoon and all those other pricey places and it probably won't all happen..... but you know what? it all doesn't matter as long as I have my family, my health, the necessities, the gospel to give me hope and such an awesome ward that surrounds me.

Anyway.... sorry about the sappy post.
I was just thinking about this  b/c in church on Sunday I got to teach about Finding Joy in the Now to the beehives, none of my mia-maids were there. I survived, it went well and as always I had more prepared than had time to teach but I think they got the message. 

When I got home I began to think about the times in my life that I wasn't happy or had Joy. I was still living the teachings of the church just not embracing it. How I didn't know then what I know now. :) Life is hard at times yes, but there are many reasons to have JOy in the NOw too. It is hard as the world is getting more wicked, and it's only going to get worse; but I know that I am a child of god who has a purpose here. I know that my heavenly father won't give me anything I can't handle. I know that my family is eternal and if we live in accordance with the gospel we will be together forever. I know that my Savior Jesus Christ has been through it all and I can always remember that the atonement is not just for saying sorry. I can turn to him even if I am having a bad day. I have a wonderful family who loves and supports me in all I do. And as President Thomas S Monson says "Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey,

and share our love with friends and family."   

and that is what I am going to do.

3 comments:

Rich and Crys said...

Les,

What a great post. We have been feeling EXACTLY the same way fot the past two weeks. So grateful. So grateful to have a job, and to have our health, and to have a great marriage, and to have the gospel. We are all very blessed... even in hard times. Makes you remember the things that are really important, and cherish them for the blessings that they are. Love you guys!

Unknown said...

Amen sista! Wow what a great post. It was alot to take in but wow, did it get me thinking.
Yes how very fortunate are we to have such an amazing family? We are the lucky one les, we really are. Thanks for the post I needed that.

Marissa said...

Great post! We each have different challenges and struggles and it makes things so much better to focus on our abundant blessings rather than the challenges.
Thanks for sharing.